Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Black Bush
























The Globe and Mail recently had President Obama on their cover with the headline reading "We are at War", for which the accompanying article went on to highlight the growing simularties between former President Bush's foreign Policy and Obama's, namely the Afghanistan troop surge and the perpetual status of Guantanamo Bay detainees. I cant actually disagree with them! But... I also cant say this is an entirely bad thing either. After all, we are at war, and if there was anything I liked about former President Bush is that he would never bring a knife to a gun fight. What I found it particularly interesting about the comparison is that in one instance of his war strategy, President Obama had actually surpassed his predecessor in terms of destruction wrought against the Taliban - namely UAV drone strikes. Now don't get me started on drones - I absolutely LOVE the idea of remote controlled death from above (if it saves the lives of our troops all the better) and as it turns out "More C.I.A. drone attacks have been conducted under President Obama than under President George W. Bush". Incase you've forgotten that was eight years under Bush and one year with Obama as commander in chief. All this of course becomes slightly bizarre when examined in light of President Obama's recent Nobel Peace prize but hey... the man has a job to do! But after reading that initial headline and article in Globe I couldnt help but think back to Dave Chappelle's sketch from a few years ago that had the comedian playing a gangsta, swaggered out American president by the name Black Bush. Art imitating life or vice versa? I found this cartoon to go with my post, if you want to see the Chappelle skit it's on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment